Cheese Stuffed Poblanos with Roasted Red Pepper Salsa

On the same night that I made the Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup, I also made these delicious Cheese Stuffed Poblano Peppers. I found the recipe at Epicurious.com and only changed a couple things. I planned to make the tomato sauce that goes with it, but ran out of time. Instead, I used some of Rick Bayless's Frontera Grill Roasted Red Pepper Salsa as the base of this dish and laid the pepper on top of that. The pairing was actually quite good. Also, instead of stuffing the pepper with regular Monterrey Jack cheese, I stuffed it with pepper jack. Yes, I'm pretty sure I had a death wish that night with all this spicy food. But, if you live in our house, you love it!

To make these yummy, melty peppers, first start by charring the skins over an open flame.

Once charred, place them in a paper bag for 10 minutes to loosen the skins.

Remove the skins carefully, being sure to keep the peppers in tact. Using kitchen shears, cut a slit up the front of each pepper and stuff with cheese. Close the peppers back up, overlapping the slit just a bit so the pepper sticks to itself to stay closed.

Next, dust the peppers with flour and set aside while you make the batter.

By separating the egg whites from the yolks and whipping the whites with some salt until they formed stiff peaks,

I was able to fold the whites into the yolks and create a very fluffy, foamy batter that resulted in a very light texture when served.

Now that the batter is made, dip each pepper in and coat up to the stem. Since the batter is thick and foamy, you'll need to paint it on with your hands.

Now dip the peppers into hot oil

and deep fry until golden brown.

Did I mention we were drinking tequila that night? haha...

Comments

  1. absolutely wonderful. lotsa steps. i truly applaud you for making the effort. i'll bet they were truly great. fried cheesy stuff.. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and another thing... you have quite the fancy fryer there. looks like a pro set-up. what's the deal???

    ReplyDelete
  3. CEF - yeah, we love our fryer. I believe we got it at Costco (which is where we pretty much buy EVERYTHING). I use it mostly for making fries (using the belgian double-fry method of course). Here it is on another site: http://www99.epinions.com/content_168670563972

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rellenos look great too! I have made the batter both ways, with just the whites, and with both. To save time I just se the complete egg. If you ever need any great mexican recipes, or new mexican let me know. I apprenticed under a Mexican Chef for 2 years. It is my favorite cuisine! Have a Great Day, Love your sight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @pokster To remove the seeds from the roasted poblano peppers... after you've roasted them, put them in the paper bag, taken them back out and removed their skins carefully, then when you cut the slit up the front just gently open the pepper enough to get your hand in there and just remove the seeds with your hand trying not to rip the peppers. It's not super easy because the peppers do kind of want to rip, but do your best. Then fill them with the cheese and go on with the rest of the instructions. The cheese and the batter will cover up any rips that may occur and everything will be fine regardless.
    Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck! Email me a pic if you make it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you are commenting to enter a giveaway, please do not comment as "Anonymous". If you choose to comment as "Name/URL", please use your Twitter handle as your Name or provide a URL that provides us a way to contact you in the even that you are the winner. Thank you! ~ FOODIE