Mmmmmm.... doesn't that look so good? It's probably a cold day where most of you are today... at least it is here. This is the perfect dish to make on a day like this. It's a little time consuming, but it's not hard and the finished product is full of flavor, spicy (duh, I made it), and makes perfect leftovers for lunch the next day or even another dinner the next night. The only thing I would do differently next time is stir in some green onions right at the end and garnish it with some fresh parsley. I just didn't have either on hand at the time, so I just rolled with it. I'll include those two additions in my recipe below.
The most unique thing about this recipe is that I used buffalo andouille sausage. Yeah that's right, sausage made with buffalo meat. My Virtual Potluck group partnered up with The Buffalo Guys and were provided the following to taste and play with in our kitchens:
- All Natural Buffalo Hot Dogs
- All Natural Gourmet Buffalo Andouille
- All Natural Gourmet Buffalo Polish
- All Natural Gourmet Buffalo Bratwurst
From the Buffalo Guys website:
In extreme North-West Kansas The Buffalo Guys, Ken Klemm and Peter Thieriot, own about 3300 acres of prime, native buffalo range. Here, their herd of about 500 head grazes as they have for millennia. Early explorer accounts of this land tell of herds so great that when they came to water they would drink the creek dry. So when they brought the buffalo back to this place it was a homecoming and a great day in "buffalo history."
|Peter and Ken - "The Buffalo Guys"|
I liked this part a lot:
We at The Buffalo Guys believe that actions have consequences. We believe that through thoughtful examination of the problems endemic to the American diet, to American agriculture and to the American environment we can act in such a manner as to reduce or eliminate these problems. Our production and business practices are designed to limit the negative and maximize the positive consequences to the environment, the buffalo population and to our consumers' health.
- We believe that animals should be treated with dignity.
- We believe the environment can be renewed through wise use.
- We believe that what we produce for others to eat should be equal in quality to what we, ourselves, choose to eat at home.
- We support the growth of "Organic and Sustainable" agricultural practices and feel that the American Buffalo fits this well.
- We believe that our employees and member ranchers should be fairly compensated for their efforts and in so doing be empowered to enjoy a full and fruitful life.
- Buffalo Guys sausages contain no fillers, MSG, nitrites or nitrates
- Buffalo are range-raised without antibiotics or growth hormones
...and check out the nutritional facts on buffalo meat.
Click here to watch a short video where you can hear the Buffalo Guys tell you about their buffalo meat and its health benefits.
Want to try some buffalo sausage for yourself? Here's how you can save some money:
Discount offer: 15% off any hot dog or sausage purchase
through the end of March. The code is VIRTUALPOTLUCK
So far I've tried the Bratwurst and the Andouille. Both were delicious and not greasy at all - just packed with flavor. I plan to make some pigs in a blanket with the hot dogs sometime this week (because who doesn't like that??) and I'll do something with the Polish sausage soon. Maybe a good ol' Cleveland Polish Boy? I'm certain it will be delicious.
See how I made my Buffalo Andouille and Shrimp Jambalaya after the jump!