Spicy Chili Cheese Popcorn


How about a snack? So everybody loves popcorn, right? Plus, it's a healthy snack! It's a good source of fiber, it satisfies your craving for something salty and crunchy, and it's low in calories and you can eat a lot of it without feeling guilty! Um... yes please!

My friends at Virtual Potluck and I teamed up with the good people at Savory Spice Shop and we were lucky enough to receive a sampling of some of their spices to play with and create recipes with.  I was able to choose the spices I wanted, so I of course got things like ancho chile powder, chimichurri marinade seasoning, etc...  stuff you would expect me to get, but I also thought this would be a great opportunity to get a good cheese powder for popcorn.  Why?  Because Mark makes AMAZING popcorn.  He loves popcorn and he often likes to spice it up with not only salt, but things like cheese powder, chili powder, herbs, cayenne, etc...
Savoryhomelogo
So I ordered the Cheddar Cheese Powder and asked Mark if he would create a special popcorn using this powder.  Well he did, but he also stepped it up a notch and used several more spices to create a delicious, spicy, addicting popcorn that you will LOVE!

He ended up using the following spices - all of which you can purchase at Savory Spice Shop:

SavorychecheCheddar Cheese Powder

SavorychilanchoGround Ancho Chiles

SavorypapsmspnswSmoked Spanish Sweet Paprika

SavorygarlicvfinePowdered Garlic

SavorychilcayGround Cayenne

SavorythymefrFrench Organic Thyme

... as well as sea salt and black pepper.  

Before I show you how Mark made this popcorn...

How would you like to win some of your own Savory Spices!?
The folks at Savory Spice Shop is offering a special gift set called the Fire Eaters Gift Set especially for FOODIE readers!  Their gift sets are the BOMB.  You get 4 full-sized jars of spices and it's packaged so super cute with little bonus things like a star anise, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, a chile, and bay leaves.  If you're a true FOODIE fan and love the type of cooking I do, then you will love it!

Check out Savory Spice Shop on Facebook
SavoryFireEatersget-attachment.aspx

About the Fire Eaters Gift Set:  

This gift set contains: 

From the website: 
There is a theory that if you are a habitual chile eater you can develop immunity to the heat. We’ve created this set to test that hypothesis. These four selections are not only hot but quite flavorful. And if that is not enough, we packed this set with super hot Chinese red peppers that rate between an 8 and 9 on a heat scale of 1 to 10. If you can prove the theory true, then come see us for our scorching hot habanero powder, which rates a 10 or maybe even an 11! Remember, the best relief for a burning mouth isn’t water; it’s a mild yogurt or sour cream. Be careful! The additional spices used to pack this set are also of excellent quality and should be stored in a container for future use.
Fire Eaters is a 4 jar gift set made up of our 4 fluid ounce glass jars.

The Fire Eaters spice gift set is the perfect gift for someone that wants more than a little spice in their life!   Available exclusively at Savory Spice Shop

Ways to win:
  1. Leave a comment on this post telling me what spices you would like to try from Savory Spice Shop.
  2. Visit the Savory Spice Shop Facebook page, click the Virtual Potluck link, choose a spice from the Chile Blends section, then leave another comment on this post telling me that you've done so.
  3. Share this post on Facebook, then leave another comment on this post telling me that you've done so.
  4. Tweet about this post on Twitter, then leave another comment on this post telling me that you've done so.
  5. Follow Savory Spice Shop on Twitter, then leave another comment on this post telling me that you've done so.
This contest will run until Saturday, April 21st.  On that day, after 3pm, I will choose a winner using Random.Org.  Please do not comment anonymously because I will have no way to contact you if you win.  This contest is open to U.S. residents only.  Good luck! 


This contest is now closed.
Congratulations to Amy! 
You've won the Fire Eaters gift set! 



See how to make this popcorn after the jump!




Popping the corn:
In a heavy bottomed pot (8 quart or more), combine the popcorn kernels and the vegetable oil. Spread the kernels into a single layer and apply over medium heat. Popping will take 5-10 minutes depending on the pot. Remove the heat as soon as the popping kernels slow (about 2-3 seconds between pops). If you are using a cast iron pot, be careful to not overheat as this will scorch the popped corn.


IMG_2458

IMG_2466


Combined seasoning:
Combine the cheddar cheese seasoning, ancho chile powder, smoked Spanish paprika, granulated garlic, black pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. As soon as the corn is finished popping, sprinkle the combined seasoning onto the popcorn about 1/3 at a time and then toss after each application to ensure a good distribution of the seasoning.

IMG_2463

IMG_2470

IMG_2471


Separate seasoning:
Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over the popcorn about 1 tablespoon at a time and then toss after each application to ensure an even coating of the spices and olive oil. Finally, sprinkle the thyme leaves onto the popcorn and toss once more.

IMG_2472


...and you end up with this!


Spicy Chili Cheese Popcorn



If you're a spicy food fan and you have an ice cold beer within reach... MAKE THIS POPCORN IMMEDIATELY.  You're welcome.  ;-)


Make sure you check out the other Virtual Potluck bloggers' sites to see the creations they came up with using their Savory Spice Shop stashes!  Our host for this event, Cookistry, made it super easy by putting together a round-up post so you can launch from her page to see all the other recipes.  This also means MORE CHANCES TO WIN!!

Check out the Virtual Potluck round-up here!

Now go enter to win the giveaway and good luck!!!

Comments

  1. I could LIVE on popcorn and this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super excited about that Extra Hot Jamaican Jerk, and the blackening seasoning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOW we're talkin. I love all things popcorn. This...this would be my new bestie. Love this recipe Tara! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Cow! I need every spice you mentioned because I need to make this popcorn. I typically dip my popcorn in hot sauce but it gets soggy. This is way better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I would love to try the Asian Delight BBQ rub and also some of their curry powders.

    cereza25 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Peruvian Chile Lime seasonig sounds yummy.

    cereza25 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm following SSS on Twitter.
    cereza25 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have enticed me to want to try this recipe. I've never purchased cheese powder, but after reading this post, I think I'd like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to try the Mexican Molé!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I shared this post on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tweeted your post: https://twitter.com/#!/BoonieSooze/status/191937733529321472

    ReplyDelete
  12. I follow Savory Spice Shop on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the korean black garlic and hickory powder

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to try the Park Hill Maple & Spice Pepper and make my own maple and peppered bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love popcorn and this combination sounds so, so good. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is definitely a good mix of spices. and inspiring too! I'll take them all please!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm looking at the chile blends and am craving chimichurri. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i follow savory spice shop on twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i shared this post on facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i tweeted about this post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love homemade popcorn and I love this combination he made. Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was just speaking to someone last night about piri piri and I've never tried it. I would LOVE to try some! Thanks for hosting this giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm following Savory Spice Shop on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I followed SSS on Twitter. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think Tina Fey said it best: I want to go to there. This looks awesome, had a friend who made a similar receipe but left out the cheese for some unknown reason. Tweeted a link to the blog entry, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm currently on a mission to find the best cinnamon out there, so I'd love to try their Ceylon, Chinese, Indonesian and Vietnamese varieties. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't open the Facebook page but I did visit the Savory Spice Shop and the Peruvian Chile Lime Seasoning immediately caught my eye. It would make such a fabulous marinade and an excellent veggie shake. Actually I can think of a whole boatload of things to use it in! Many Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would like to try their cardamom - one of my favorite spices.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I visited their chili section and I would like to try their Peruvian Chile Lime Blend.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'd be interested in trying their taco seasoning.

    @grobiemum on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  31. I checked the chile blends section on facebook and would like to try the Black Canyon Chili Powder.

    @grobiemum on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  32. I shared on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=279029248850367&id=596580232

    @grobiemum on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  33. Tweeted. https://twitter.com/#!/grobiemum/status/192400051849543681

    @grobiemum on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  34. I follow Savory Spice Shop on Twitter.

    @grobiemum on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  35. Savory Spice Shop has lots of great goodies - I love the dehyrated vegetables: onions, garlic, peppers, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  36. El Diente Southwestern Seasoning and Family Style Fajita Seasoning both sound like we'd use a lot of in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I follow @SavorySpiceShop

    ReplyDelete
  38. I would like to try the extracts, in particular the Madagascar Vanilla.
    jlammers002@woh.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. I picked the Taco Seasoning, it has to be better than the store bought variety!
    jlammers002@woh.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. I follow Savory Spice Shop on Twitter.
    jlammers002@woh.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. I want to try the baking spice,Bohemian Forest European Style Rub, California Citrus Rub (Salt-Free), and so many more! LOL!

    randcbruns AT kci DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  42. From the Virtual Potluck, I choose the Lodo Red Adobo. It isn't one of the blends I have tried yet. It sounds great.

    randcbruns AT kci DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  43. I would like to try a lot of the fruited extracts.
    amylammers@rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'd like to try the Fajita Seasoning.
    amylammers@rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is something great to try but in order to do that one must have a good popcorn popper too. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you are commenting to enter a giveaway, please do not comment as "Anonymous". If you choose to comment as "Name/URL", please use your Twitter handle as your Name or provide a URL that provides us a way to contact you in the even that you are the winner. Thank you! ~ FOODIE